Thursday, 24 November 2016
Wednesday, 23 November 2016
Tuesday, 8 November 2016
Directorate of Fisheries,
Subject: Continuing violation of fishing rights in Zuari river
We wish to let you know about continues fishing rights violation in Zuari river.
Mini- per seine boats is constant violators. One of their boats was found tossed up on Siridao shore on Friday 16th September 2016. This boat was from Vasco and all the labourers on board were without their labour cards and boat was without owner. This was possible because Fisheries department has not installed proper monitoring system in the form of 24 hour fishing patrol boat in Zuari in spite of repeated requests from our side.
On 19th October 2016 and 20th October 2016 there was mini – per seine boats again carried on illegal fishing early in the morning and continued till afternoon. Similarly on 21st October 2016 around 10 mini per seine boats carried on illegal fishing before 7.00 am The peak of illegal fishing by mini –per seine boats in recent times took place on 22nd October 2016 before 7.00 am when nearly 50 boats carried on illegal fishing within 100 meters from Siridao – Cacra shoreline. Your department was telephonically informed but we have not seen any action from your side to correct the wrongs being committed inside Zuari river.
You may note that the Earth Charter (http://earthcharter.org/invent/images/uploads/echarter_english.pdf) in its Principle 15 (C) reads as follows “Avoid or eliminate to the full extent possible the taking or destruction of non-targeted species.” You may be aware that per seine and mini-per seine nets is all about destruction of non targeting species.
Fisheries department has not taken any steps to defend the eco system of Zuari river and allowed mini-per seine boats to go on a rampage with their nets of even less than 5 mm in size that catches tiny fish that is either discarded or sold as fertilizer. This is gross insult to fish eating people in Goa and body blow to the eco system of Zuari river.
We call upon you to act on two grounds:
1. Install 24 hours monitoring of Zuari river for illegal fishing
2. Limit the net size of those carrying on fishing to 25 mm
Lastly we also want to place on record that because Bharat Mukti Morcha has been raising ethical issues in fisheries in Goa one of our convener Sanjay Pereira and Siridao village Fishermen has been facing arm-twisting treatment in the form of threat of violence inside Zuari River to conform to unsustainable way of fishing harmful to ecology. For us to conform to sick society is be sick. We won’t. We inform you well in advance for you to act.
Your prompt will be highly appreciated.
Convener, Siridao Unit
Convener, Curca Unit
Convener, Odxel Unit
Convener, Nauxi unit
Co-convener, Cacra unit
1. Chief Minister, Secretariat, Porvorim, Goa
2. OSD to Deputy Chief Minister, Secretariat, Goa
3. Leader of the Opposition, Secretariat, Porvorim, Goa
4. Minister of Fisheries, Secretariat, Porvorim, Goa
5. Minister for Science and Technology, Secretariat, Porvorim, Goa
6. Director General of Police, Panjim, Goa
7. Superintendent of Police (Coastal Security), Panjim, Goa
8. Chief Secretary, Secretariat, Goa
9. Captain of Ports, Panjim, Goa
10. Secretary (Fisheries), Secretariat, Porvorim, Goa
11. Joint Secretary (Home)
12. Collector (North Goa), Panjim
13. Deputy Collector & S.D.O (Tiswadi)
14. M.L.A, Taleigao Constituency
15. M.L.A, Santa Cruz Constituency
16. M.L.A, St. Andre Constituency
17. Goenchea Ramponkarancho Ekvott (GRE), Cansaulim, Goa
18. Being Bhahujan c/o Ashwinkumar Naik, Raia, Goa tel: 9822177158
19. Director, ICAR – ICAR Research Complex for Goa, Ela, Old Goa
20. Director, National Institute of Oceanography, Dona Paula, Goa
21. Director, Tribal Research Centre, Baddem, Khotigaon, Canacona, Goa Tel: 9822177158
22. Dr. Baban Ingole, Professor& Chief Scientist, Biological Oceanography, NIO, Dona Paula